Addiction Recovery and Treatment
What are the Benefits
Types of Centers
Styles of Addiction Treatment
What to Look for
What Addictions are Treated
Treatment in California
Addictions of all kinds bring with them a high cost – not just to the individual struggling with the disorder but to his or her family and loved ones as well. Gambling, sex addictions, food addictions and abuse of drugs and alcohol can lead to long-term health and social problems including chronic illness, legal problems, financial devastation, an inability to care for a family and an inability to have a positive relationship.
In the case of drug and alcohol addiction, like many medical disorders, early intervention and treatment is of primary importance. If you or someone you care about is living with an active drug and alcohol addiction, contact us today at Michael’s House to find out about your addiction recovery options.
What Are the Benefits of Addiction Recovery?
One of the most productive things an individual can do to break the cycle of addiction is to enter into an addiction treatment program. There are a number of benefits to choosing drug rehab when addiction is an issue, including:
- Sheltered environment. Drug rehab centers and dual diagnosis rehab provide a safe place from the “outside world,” protected against too much temptation to relapse into addictive behaviors.
- Detox care. Immediate medical care is necessary to stabilize many patients when they stop abusing their drug or drugs of choice.
- Ongoing medical care and monitoring. Combating the physical effects of chronic addictive behavior and associated health problems can mean regular check-ins, medication and more.
- Personalized treatment. Depending upon why you started abusing drugs and alcohol and what other issues you may be dealing with, your addiction treatment program may be different from the next person’s program. Therapies, alternative treatments, traditional care, medication and other therapies – all this will vary depending upon your needs.
- Peer and staff support. Doing anything with the support of others who are either knowledgeable and trained in how to help you accomplish what you striving for or dealing with the same issues is going to help you more quickly and effectively reach your goes.
- Aftercare support. The better addiction treatment facilities will provide you with ongoing support and care as necessary after you have completed the program. This benefit can be crucial to your ability to remain clean and sober in your recovery for the long term.
Addiction treatment programs should provide all these benefits and more.
Types of Addiction Recovery Centers
The two most common types of addiction recovery centers are residential and outpatient. Although the treatment styles may differ within these programs, they stand as the two predominant ways that an individual can address their issues of alcohol or drug dependence.
The type that is right for you will depend upon your needs, the needs of your family, and the dictates of your addiction illness and co-occurring disorders.
Styles of Addiction Treatment
Within the two types of treatment programs, there are several different styles of or approaches to addiction care. Catering to specific populations, dual diagnoses, intensity of care, range of treatment services and more, there is a style of drug addiction that is right for everyone looking for medical and psychological care.
What to Look for at an Addiction Treatment Program
There are literally thousands of addiction treatment programs to choose from, and while some are completely ineffective, many vary in philosophy, treatment amenities, environment and staff. With so many options, how do you know what you should look for and how to choose the right addiction treatment program for you?
Though your specific needs will vary, here are some of the general requirements you should demand:
- A staff knowledgeable and experienced in addiction recovery with the practice to back it up
- A healing and relaxing atmosphere
- A secluded location or gated estate to ensure privacy, security and the seclusion you need to focus on your recovery
- Individual counseling sessions with staff members one or more times weekly
- Group counseling sessions with staff members and fellow patients multiple times per week
- A wide range of addiction treatment services and the ability to navigate through them, creating a schedule for yourself that is made up of treatments that address your needs most effectively
- Personalized treatment plans designed to address issues that occurred in your life prior to addiction and during addiction, as well as co-occurring disorders
- Low number of patients enrolled
- High number of staff members, including counselors, medical professionals, therapists, psychiatrists and more
Addictions Treated at Rehab Programs
Those struggling with significant compulsion and addiction issues in addition to drug dependence will be able to get the treatment they need to deal with those issues as well when they choose drug treatment.
Some of the most common addiction and compulsion disorders experienced by those living with drug dependence include gambling, sex and codependency. While some only experience compulsive issues with these behaviors while they are under the influence, many will continue to struggle with them after they kick their drug habit. A behavioral compulsion relapse can quickly lead to a drug relapse, so it’s important to find an addiction treatment program that can address these issues as well if they are a problem.
What Makes Addiction Recovery in California Unique?
The Drug Enforcement Agency of the US government considers California a hotbed of drug-related activity. In addition, according to a recent study by the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, California has one of the highest rates of illicit drug use among individuals older than 12 years old. And while not every one of these individuals will develop a full-blown addiction, it is easy to see why addiction recovery is such a “hot topic” in California.
California has long been known as a place for progressive thinkers, and that same mindset is constantly in play among the addiction recovery community in the state. Perhaps nowhere else in the country is home to more unique methods of addiction treatment, including holistic care, advanced cognitive therapy, dual diagnosis treatment and equine therapy. All these methods are intertwined with tried-and-true rehab philosophies to form a unique methodology of addiction treatment.
Michael’s House Offers Multiple Addiction Treatment Programs in California
Michael’s House is a residential addiction recovery facility located in Palm Springs, California. The treatment professionals at Michael’s House know how to craft a personalized program for each patient that speaks directly to their needs and the circumstances surrounding their addiction. The result is a “whole body” approach to treatment that uplifts the mind, body and spirit while helping the individual overcome their dependence.
Contact Michael’s House today for more information.