GLBT Alcohol Treatment
GLBT alcohol treatment programs do not necessarily have to treat gay and lesbian patients exclusively. Rather, a GLBT alcohol program is any program that understands the needs of the gay community and is supportive of, and sympathetic to those needs. In order to provide the appropriate level of care, counselors should be well-versed in GLBT addiction issues and the environment should be a safe and productive one.
Obstacles to GLBT Alcohol Addiction Treatment
There are several obstacles unique to the GLBT community that can keep gay men and women from receiving the proper care for their alcohol addiction.
- A lack of understanding. Mainstream addiction treatment programs may be well-intentioned, but might not understand the issues and root causes behind GLBT alcohol addiction. Counselors may not be well-versed in the issues of depression and anxiety that can plague members of the gay community -and lead to alcohol addiction.
- An uncomfortable setting. Some treatment facilities may not go far enough in terms of providing for the safety of their gay and lesbian patients. There must always be a policy in place to protect the rights of GLBT individuals against hate crimes or other hostile and discriminatory acts inside the facility.
- Geographic location. The best treatment programs for recovering alcoholics in the GLBT community can generally be found in large metropolitan areas. Small towns and rural areas will likely not provide the level of care sought after by gay men and women in need of alcohol treatment.
The Elements of GLBT Treatment
There are three core elements involved in GLBT alcohol treatment: detox, counseling and aftercare.
Michael’s House offers caring and compassionate alcohol treatment for all their patients. Michael’s House is a residential rehab facility located in Palm Springs, California that understands the unique nature of GLBT alcohol addiction.
Contact Michael’s House today at 1-877-345-8494 for more information.
- Alcohol Recovery Center Facts
- Alcohol Treatment Costs
- Alcohol Treatment for Women
- Alcohol Treatment Insurance
- Alcohol Treatment Intervention
- Alcohol Treatment Success Rates
- Alcohol Treatment Tips for the Family
- Alcohol Withdrawal
- Do you need Treatment?
- GLBT Alcohol Treatment
- History of Alcohol
- Holistic Alcoholism Recovery 101
- Inpatient Alcohol Treatment
- Luxury Alcohol Treatment
- Military Treatment Centers
- Options for the Treatment of Alcoholism
- Preparing for Treatment Admissions
- Private Alcohol Treatment
- Residential vs. Outpatient Alcoholism Treatment
- Types of Treatment for Alcoholism
- What Happens When Treatment is Over?
- Why is Alcohol So Addictive?