One look at a person who has been struggling with crystal meth addiction for years should tell you everything you need to know about the dangers of this drug. But in case you need more evidence, here are ten totally true facts about crystal meth abuse and addiction that should be enough to either scare someone straight – or motivate loved ones to get an addict into treatment.
10 Dangers of Crystal Meth Addiction
1. Tremors and convulsions. Crystal meth can send your body into a state of chaos with uncontrollable twitching and violent tremors.
2. Severe movement disorders. Doctors have described the movement disorders associated with crystal meth use as “similar to Parkinson’s Disease”
3. Respiratory problems. Long-term side effects of crystal meth use include labor breathing and other respiratory concerns.
4. Strokes. Crystal meth can damage the blood vessels in the brain so severely that the individual suffers a stroke.
5. Anorexia. Female crystal meth addicts have a high incidence of anorexia, as they are so consumed by the drug that they fail to take in the nutrients their body needs to survice.
6. Crime. Many hardcore crystal meth users have been known to turn to crime (especially robbery) as a means of financing their drug habit.
7. Broken relationships. When an individual develops a crystal meth addiction, the drug becomes the only thing of importance in their lives. That means family and friends are neglected in the name of the drug.
8. Problems achieving sexual climax. Although some short-term users report a more engaging sexual appetite, long-term use of crystal meth leads to the inability to achieve an erection or sexual climax.
9. “Meth mouth”. One of the hallmark symptoms of crystal meth addiction is the degradation of the teeth and gums. Meth mouth can spotted casually as the individual’s dental health falls into disrepair.
10. Mood swings. Individuals who use crystal meth are prone to violent mood swings, often moving for intense euphoria into depression or anger without warning.
If you know someone who is suffering from crystal meth addiction, contact a drug treatment center in your area to provide a way for the individual to get the help they need.