Once upon a time, crystal meth was cooked and created in remote rural locations, and the labs used to create the drug were often in trailer homes or cabins that were far distant from neighbors. Not so anymore. Crystal meth has become more and more prevalent in urban cities and more populated regions, and at the same time, more and more crystal meth labs have moved slowly and steadily toward the customers. This has meant the creation of crystal meth labs in suburban neighborhoods, in apartment buildings, in roaming recreational vehicles, and even in city centers – and that spells danger for everyone in the area.
Dangerous Chemicals + Crystal Meth Addiction = Dangerous Explosions
Those who cook crystal meth in crystal meth labs are usually under the influence of the drug – not just when they’re cooking but all the time. This can mean some pretty shoddy decision making and potential negligence, an unsafe state in any situation but doubly so when volatile chemicals and heat are involved. Crystal meth is made up of common chemicals found in almost any household, but when combined, their chemical makeup is vastly unstable. A little too much of one thing or heat too soon – any misstep whatsoever and the whole place can explode hurting everyone inside and nearby.
Fumes, Kids, and Other Dangers of Crystal Meth Labs
When cooked, the chemicals used to make crystal meth release heavy, toxic fumes. You don’t have to be inside the house where the crystal meth is being made to breathe those fumes; they often infect the air outside of the home as well as the air inside adjoining buildings, including nearby apartments and other homes. Kids who are playing outside can inhale the fumes and become ill, and these toxins can also leach into the ground or into the water supply depending upon how they are stored and/ or disposed.
Reporting Crystal Meth Labs in Your Neighborhood
If you believe that your neighbors are cooking crystal meth in their homes (you may notice strange smells and fumes, lots of people coming and going, lots of activity for days on end and at all hours), police are more than willing to help you. The dangers are simply too risky to ignore. In the meantime, keep children and teens as far from the house as possible and try to avoid breathing the fumes as much as possible.