Surprising Facts about Crystal Meth Addiction
One the fastest growing, and most dangerous drug addictions in the United States is a dependence on Crystal Meth. Anyone who has watched the news, or knows somebody who works in a hospital emergency room is already aware of the destructive nature of Crystal Meth. But for the yet-to-be-informed, here are some surprising facts about crystal meth addiction.
Facts About Crystal Meth Addiction
The “high” created by many drugs lasts for only a short period of time, however the euphoric effects delivered by Crystal Meth can last up to 12 hours.
- All drugs have negative side effects when abused, but the short-term and long-term health effects of crystal meth addiction are particularly gruesome. They include:
- Stroke (created by damage to the blood vessels in the brain)
- Inflammation of the heart lining
- The symptoms above do not even include the illnesses the individual is at risk for when taking the drug intravenously (which include HIV/AIDS, Hepatitis B & C and others).
- Crystal Meth has a wide variety of street names associated with it, including: ice, glass, quartz, blade and Crank.
- Crystal Meth was popular in the drug counterculture in the 1960′s & 1970′s before disappearing from the scene for almost 20 years before resurfacing, more widely used than ever in the past decade.
- A recent high-level university study found that animals given an unlimited supply of meth with repeatedly take the drug until the toxins have killed them. Researchers believe this behavior mimics the actions of many human crystal meth addicts, who will continue to take the drug despite being aware of the potential health hazards and social consequences.
- One of the primary reasons for the rise in crystal meth use is the ease in which the drug is made. In homemade laboratories all across the United States, crystal meth is produced cheaply and dangerously. Consider some of the following materials crystal meth “cookers” mix in with the drug:
- Brake Fluid
- Lighter Fluid
- Ether and other highly dangerous substances.
- The active ingredients in crystal meth set off a series of deceptive reactions in the brain. They are “deceptive” because they fool the body into thinking it has more energy than it actually does. That is why crystal meth users will often be able to stay awake and party for three straight days, then when body catches on to the deception, will crash and be unable to function for several days (or until another hit of the drug). This kind of cycle has a devastating effect on the long-term health of the individual.
Michael’s House understands the special needs of those individuals with a crystal meth addiction. The caring, knowledgeable professionals at Michael’s House help people break the cycle of drug addiction -and give them the skills to live a healthy, productive, crystal meth-free life. Contact Michael’s House today at 1-877-345-8494 for information about their top-notch residential drug treatment program, located at their facility in Palm Springs, California.