Drug Addiction and the GLBT Community
To know why gay Americans suffer from drug addiction more than other members of the community, one must consider several key factors.
Factors Behind Drug Addiction in the GLBT Community
Coping with Social Issues. To be young and gay in the United States can be difficult. Many young people suffer in silence due to societal and family pressures that want them to be something they are not. In order to escape the pain of this situation, many turn to drugs. The combination of drug addiction and depression or other mental health issues can be lethal.
A lifestyle with a partying component. Many GLBT communities (especially those found in major urban areas) feature a very intense partying culture. Young people go out to the clubs often, where their energy is fueled by drugs such as cocaine, ecstasy, crystal meth and other so called “club drugs.” The lax attitude towards these drugs leads many individuals into a spiral of addiction that can difficult to control over time.
Parental rejection. Finally, many young people turn to drugs in order to cope with parental rejection. Sadly, when a parent pushes their child away due to their sexual orientation the result is often substance abuse or addiction.
Drug Addiction Statistics in the GLBT Community
- Studies have consistently found GLBT individuals at a higher risk for drug addiction than the remainder of the population.
- Over 55% of gay men will develop a substance abuse problem at some point in their life.
- Crystal meth addiction among the gay populations is over 40% higher than the rest of the country.
Overall, drug addiction is a more serious problem for gay men and women that other demographic groups. Therefore there is an added urgency to help these individuals get into drug rehab as quickly as possible.
Treating Drug Addiction in the GLBT Community
It is very important that the individual work with an addiction treatment facility that understands the special needs of the GLBT community. These programs offer specialized counseling and may even treat members of the community exclusively in certain sessions. Group counseling where the individual feels more comfortable because of the similar situation of the others in the group can lead to significant breakthroughs.
Michael’s House is very respectful of the needs of our Gay or Lesbian patients. Our programs help individuals explore the root causes of their addiction, and develop individualized plans for success that are crafted to be effective in their daily life.
For more information about the outstanding treatment at Michael’s House, call 1-877-345-8494 today.
- A Surprising Look at the Most Addictive Drugs in the World
- Addiction Relapse Prevention Tips
- All About Drug Counseling
- Calling Addiction Hotlines
- Common Drug Addiction Symptoms
- Dialectical Behavior Therapy and Substance Dependency
- Drug Addiction and the GLBT Community
- Drug Addiction Facts and Statistics
- Drug Addiction Treatment for Family Members
- Drug Recovery Tips and Information
- Effects of Addiction to Stimulants
- Famous Drug Addiction Cases
- Great Books about Addiction
- Spousal Drug Addiction
- The Most Realistic Movies About Drugs and Addiction
- Withdrawal Symptoms