The withdrawal symptoms occur when the body and the brain react adversely to the lack of a particular drug in the system. The body becomes habituated to these drugs, so when it is no longer present, adverse reactions (the withdrawal symptoms) occur.
Withdrawal symptoms occur during the following conditions: cocaine addiction, heroin addiction, crystal meth addiction, marijuana addiction, opiate addiction (such as Vicodin and OxyContin) and other substance abuse cases.
Who Suffers from Withdrawal Symptoms?
What are the Most Common Symptoms?
Withdrawal symptoms come in two primary forms – emotional and physical. And across the wide spectrum of drug use, there are literally hundreds of different symptoms that an individual may experience when they stop taking a drug. The following represent some of the most common symptoms -many of which appear across different drugs.
- Extended periods of depression
- Volatile mood swings
- Suicidal thoughts
- Nausea and vomiting
- Chills and sweats
- Cramps and muscle aches/pains
- Runny nose or fever
How Long Do Symptoms Last?
Most people will enter into drug detox and go through withdrawal that lasts between three to five days. In the case of individuals with a very serious drug addiction, withdrawal symptoms can last for one or two weeks.
How Serious are Drug-related Withdrawal Symptoms?
While few withdrawal symptoms can technically be defined as “life-threatening”, they still cause significant discomfort for the individual and can lead to more serious consequences, including relapse into drug use or suicidal thoughts.
Michael’s House is a residential addiction treatment facility in Palm Springs, California that can help the individual get through the pain of withdrawal and so much more. The expert counselors at Michael’s House work very closely with every patient to insure that they receive the proper treatment for their addiction as well as customized strategies for moving forward with a drug-free life.
Contact Michael’s House today at 1-877-345-8494 for more information.
- A Surprising Look at the Most Addictive Drugs in the World
- Addiction Relapse Prevention Tips
- All About Drug Counseling
- Calling Addiction Hotlines
- Common Drug Addiction Symptoms
- Dialectical Behavior Therapy and Substance Dependency
- Drug Addiction and the GLBT Community
- Drug Addiction Facts and Statistics
- Drug Addiction Treatment for Family Members
- Drug Recovery Tips and Information
- Effects of Addiction to Stimulants
- Famous Drug Addiction Cases
- Great Books about Addiction
- Spousal Drug Addiction
- The Most Realistic Movies About Drugs and Addiction
- Withdrawal Symptoms