How Drug Rehabilitation Aftercare Works
Completing drug rehabilitation is a tremendous accomplishment that every individual who accomplishes should be incredibly proud of. However, putting those lessons learned during rehab into practice takes considerable effort and commitment. Aftercare programs help individuals who have made it through drug rehab continue to live drug-free lives without the structured regimen of an addiction treatment program.
Sober Living and Aftercare
When an individual completes drug rehabilitation, they must make a transition back into the general flow of their daily lives. This is not always easy. For many, returning home means coming back to old temptations, lost jobs, or failed relationships. It’s a lot to take in all at once. Sober living homes provide a place for the recovering addict to regain her footing as she addresses these issues. Sober living residences are a place to:
- Rebuild self-responsibility. Chores and household duties are shared at the sober living home. For recovering addicts who have thought about nothing but themselves and their addiction for years, this is an important stepping stone towards becoming a functioning, productive member of a family, company or social group.
- Stabilize the family unit. Many sober living homes for women allow single mothers to reside on site with their families. For children this provides a chance to rediscover the regimen and normality that was stripped away by their parents’ drug addiction.
- Rebuild financial stability. Most sober living homes are highly affordable, which gives the individual a chance to get back to work and start saving for their own residence.
Follow-up Counseling and Aftercare
Just like a car needs an occasional tune-up to keep running at peak efficiency, once drug rehabilitation is complete, individuals are urged to take part in follow up counseling in order to make sure that they are staying the course and making use of the skills they learned in the program. Aftercare counseling may require the individual to return to the facility for individual sessions with their counselors from rehab, or may involve meeting a new therapist who was recommended by the program. There are also aftercare group sessions, where the individual meets with a counselor and other recovering addicts who have recently completed rehab. Counseling after rehab is vital to the success of the individual. Drug addiction recovery is an ongoing process -so any support structures or continuing education provide great benefits.
12 Step Programs and Aftercare
12-step programs for recovering drug addicts, such as Narcotics Anonymous, are a place for the individual to find ongoing support from other people who have been right where they are -and are living to tell the tale. NA emphasizes the importance of “taking recovery one day at a time” and understanding that as a recovering addict, there are some things in life that the individual is powerless to change. What brings about real recovery is a constant focus on those things which can be changed such as one’s own behavior and the manner in which they treat others.
When an individual completes the drug rehabilitation program at Michael’s House, they will pointed in the direction of quality aftercare programs that help them go on to live happy, fulfilling lives. Contact Michael’s House in Palm Springs, California at 1-877-345-8494 for more information.
- 10 Keys to Success in Recovery
- 5 Tips for Rehabilitation
- 7 Things to do After Drug Rehab
- 7 Things to Know about Drug Counselors
- 7 Things to Know Before Starting
- All About Holistic Drug Rehab
- Alternative Drug Treatment Programs
- Basics in Rehabilitation
- Benefits of Inpatient Drug Rehab
- California Drug Rehab
- Christian Drug Rehab
- Counseling Benefits
- Drug Recovery and Exercise
- Drug Rehab Aftercare
- Drug Rehab Costs
- Drug Rehab For The Elderly
- Drug Rehab Insurance Basics
- Drug Rehab Scams
- Drug Rehab Services
- Drug Rehabilitation Counseling
- Drug Treatment Scams
- Equine Therapy in Rehabilitation Centers
- Gay-Friendly Drug Rehab Centers
- Getting a Loved One into Treatment
- Getting a Loved One into Treatment
- How Drug Rehabilitation Aftercare Works
- How to Pay for Drug Rehab
- Inpatient vs. Outpatient Treatment
- Keys to Long-Term Drug Rehab Success
- Los Angeles Drug Rehab Centers
- Luxury Rehab
- Military Drug Rehabilitation Centers
- Outpatient Drug Treatment
- Private Rehab
- Questions to Ask Before Enrolling in a Program
- Rehabilitation Admissions for Drug Abuse
- Rehabilitation Program Pricing
- Residential Rehab
- Side Effects of Drug Rehabilitation
- Successful Rehabilitation Programs
- The Advantages and Disadvantages of Private Facilities
- The Staff at a Rehabilitation Program
- Types of Specialists at Drug Rehab Centers
- U.S. Treatment Statistics
- What to Bring to a Rehab