Drug Rehabilitation Counseling
At the core of an effective drug rehabilitation program is counseling. Detox addresses the physical aspects of drug addiction, and aftercare helps the individual prepare for life after the program, but it is counseling that addresses the source of the problem and how to best correct the behaviors that have brought about the drug dependence.
How Does Drug Rehabilitation Counseling Help?
While all drugs are physically addictive to some degree, it is the psychological addiction that can cause so many individuals to relapse. Drug rehabilitation counseling addresses these psychological barriers to recovery and helps “retrain” the way the individual thinks and makes decisions. By incorporating these new lines of thinking into their everyday lives, the individual is able to overcome the strongest elements of drug addiction.
What are the Primary Types of Drug Rehabilitation Counseling?
There are three major types of drug rehabilitation counseling: individual, group and family.
Individual Counseling -During individual counseling, the patient will meet in one-on-one sessions with their counselor or therapist. These sessions are private and generally last about an hour. During individual counseling, the therapist will explore the patient’s background in an effort to find the root causes for the drug addiction. Then, counselor and patient will work together to discover effective ways to make better decisions about drug use and avoid the “triggers” that can lead to relapse.
Group Counseling -During drug rehabilitation, the recovering addict also has a chance to meet with fellow patients during group counseling sessions. These sessions are all about sharing experiences and providing support for one another. Because so many addicts often live in isolation with their drug problem, this process can be intimidating at first. However, the sheer release of talking to other people who have been through the same experiences can provide an amazing breakthrough.
Family Counseling -When an individual develops a drug addiction, they are not the only one who sees their life negatively impacted as a result. Often, the addict’s family suffers right along with them, and in many ways can even have a more difficult time than the addict herself. Family counseling is an opportunity to have an open and honest discussion between family members -parents and siblings are all included -and find new ways to communicate with one another. Also, counselors and therapists can provide family members with strategies that will help the recovering addict stay on the right path when they leave treatment.
Having the Right Attitude during Counseling
Only those individuals who maintain a positive attitude during counseling will reap the benefits of the sessions. Recovering addicts who are standoffish, or refuse to participate in group sessions are doing themselves a disservice. By being more accepting of the process itself, the recovering addict will begin to see things from a new perspective. And it is this added perspective which will provide the path towards wellness and recovery.
Michael’s House is a residential drug treatment facility located in Palm Springs, California. Mixing modern treatment styles with the finest holistic care, Michael’s House is able to provide their patients with a powerful integrated treatment that enriches the mind, body and spirit. Contact Michael’s House today at 1-877-345-8494 for more information.
- 10 Keys to Success in Recovery
- 5 Tips for Rehabilitation
- 7 Things to do After Drug Rehab
- 7 Things to Know about Drug Counselors
- 7 Things to Know Before Starting
- All About Holistic Drug Rehab
- Alternative Drug Treatment Programs
- Basics in Rehabilitation
- Benefits of Inpatient Drug Rehab
- California Drug Rehab
- Christian Drug Rehab
- Counseling Benefits
- Drug Recovery and Exercise
- Drug Rehab Aftercare
- Drug Rehab Costs
- Drug Rehab For The Elderly
- Drug Rehab Insurance Basics
- Drug Rehab Scams
- Drug Rehab Services
- Drug Rehabilitation Counseling
- Drug Treatment Scams
- Equine Therapy in Rehabilitation Centers
- Gay-Friendly Drug Rehab Centers
- Getting a Loved One into Treatment
- Getting a Loved One into Treatment
- How Drug Rehabilitation Aftercare Works
- How to Pay for Drug Rehab
- Inpatient vs. Outpatient Treatment
- Keys to Long-Term Drug Rehab Success
- Los Angeles Drug Rehab Centers
- Luxury Rehab
- Military Drug Rehabilitation Centers
- Outpatient Drug Treatment
- Private Rehab
- Questions to Ask Before Enrolling in a Program
- Rehabilitation Admissions for Drug Abuse
- Rehabilitation Program Pricing
- Residential Rehab
- Side Effects of Drug Rehabilitation
- Successful Rehabilitation Programs
- The Advantages and Disadvantages of Private Facilities
- The Staff at a Rehabilitation Program
- Types of Specialists at Drug Rehab Centers
- U.S. Treatment Statistics
- What to Bring to a Rehab