Drug Rehab For The Elderly
Often left alone and unloved by family members, elderly individuals have a high incidence of drug abuse that largely goes unnoticed.
Senior citizens develop drug problems for a variety of reasons – most commonly to cope with loneliness and despair, to grieve over the loss of a loved one, or to cope with the pain while recovering from an injury. Some also become addicted to the same medications prescribed to help them with illnesses or chronic physical problems.
Why has this problem gone unnoticed? As a country, we have a tendency to forget about our elder citizens. What happens to them does not always impact our lives and as such, we let their problems occur with action or response.
Why Drug Rehab for the Elderly is Important
There are some serious risks specifically associated with drugs and the elderly. Their physical condition is likely to already be fragile -and the stress drug use puts on them physically can lead to serious illness or even death. Simply put, older people are not physically equipped to handle the physical rigors of prolonged use of narcotics or prescription drugs.
Stopping this problem means getting involved and helping our older citizens get into rehab.
It is vital that you choose a drug rehab program that has experience working with the elderly. You can’t simply place an elderly person into a mainstream facility – while many may be able to help them, they might not get the help that is specific to their needs, and the rigors of the program might be too much for them physically and mentally.
Remember also, that many drug problems can be avoided simply by caring -by taking the time to open up time in our lives for older relatives. By providing comfort and emotional care, you will be filling a void that many seniors are currently filling by taking drugs.
We must all step up and take a good hard look at our older relatives, and make sure we are doing everything we can to keep them healthy and free of problem drug issues, including checking them into a drug rehab program that meets their special needs.
Treatment at Michael’s House helps the elderly patient get through the difficult times brought on by drug abuse. Through our drug rehab and mental health facilities, we incorporate best practices in addictions and behavioral health treatments and are highly individualized and client directed.
At Michael’s House, we provide a safe haven for those recovering from drug addiction. Our trained, highly skilled staff is familiar with all the problems associated with drug abuse and the elderly, and will take wonderful care of your beloved family member.
- 10 Keys to Success in Recovery
- 5 Tips for Rehabilitation
- 7 Things to do After Drug Rehab
- 7 Things to Know about Drug Counselors
- 7 Things to Know Before Starting
- All About Holistic Drug Rehab
- Alternative Drug Treatment Programs
- Basics in Rehabilitation
- Benefits of Inpatient Drug Rehab
- California Drug Rehab
- Christian Drug Rehab
- Counseling Benefits
- Drug Recovery and Exercise
- Drug Rehab Aftercare
- Drug Rehab Costs
- Drug Rehab For The Elderly
- Drug Rehab Insurance Basics
- Drug Rehab Scams
- Drug Rehab Services
- Drug Rehabilitation Counseling
- Drug Treatment Scams
- Equine Therapy in Rehabilitation Centers
- Gay-Friendly Drug Rehab Centers
- Getting a Loved One into Treatment
- Getting a Loved One into Treatment
- How Drug Rehabilitation Aftercare Works
- How to Pay for Drug Rehab
- Inpatient vs. Outpatient Treatment
- Keys to Long-Term Drug Rehab Success
- Los Angeles Drug Rehab Centers
- Luxury Rehab
- Military Drug Rehabilitation Centers
- Outpatient Drug Treatment
- Private Rehab
- Questions to Ask Before Enrolling in a Program
- Rehabilitation Admissions for Drug Abuse
- Rehabilitation Program Pricing
- Residential Rehab
- Side Effects of Drug Rehabilitation
- Successful Rehabilitation Programs
- The Advantages and Disadvantages of Private Facilities
- The Staff at a Rehabilitation Program
- Types of Specialists at Drug Rehab Centers
- U.S. Treatment Statistics
- What to Bring to a Rehab