Getting a Loved One into Treatment
There are few greater gifts that one family member can give another than helping them receive the proper treatment for their drug addiction. But getting a loved one into drug rehabilitation can be a challenge. Issues of identifying the drug problem, significant resistance and other concerns all represent obstacles to treatment.
How to Recognize if Someone Needs Drug Rehabilitation
People who are addicted to drugs are not likely to admit that they have a problem on their own. Instead, the majority of individuals who make it into a drug rehab program do so because they have friends and family who saw that there was a problem and helped them get treatment.
When it comes to determining if someone has a drug problem, experts agree that the best thing to do is be smart and logical about the situation. Watch for changes in behavior. For example, individuals who were once happy and outgoing may become subdued and isolated. Also, individuals who become addicted to drugs almost universally develop problems at work or school. Finally, many individuals will need money in order to support their drug habit, and as such may ask to borrow money or engage in criminal behavior in order to keep using.
These are the key identifying factors involved in drug use -and signs that it is time to get your loved one into an addiction treatment program as soon as possible.
Calling for a Drug Intervention
The most effective way to get someone you love into a drug rehabilitation program is through a drug intervention. A drug intervention occurs when concerned friends and family members come together for the purpose of showing the individual that they have a drug problem and that it is having a negative effect on their life and the lives of those around them.
Five things to know about drug interventions:
- Always work with a professional -Professional interventionists can make sure that the intervention runs smoothly, helping set the proper topics of discussion and guidelines for the session.
- Hold the intervention in a familiar location -It is important to make the individual feel comfortable during the intervention, so holding it in that person’s home or another familiar location is highly beneficial.
- Don’t be confrontational -The intervention is NOT a time to judge the individual or unburden yourself of all the ways they may have hurt you. Be kind and supportive -but also firm in your desire to get them into treatment right away.
- Research drug rehab options beforehand – Investigate drug rehabilitation programs before the intervention and find a facility that will be appropriate for the individual. This will aid the transition from intervention to treatment.
- Get the individual into treatment as soon as possible. Following the intervention, it is best to get the individual into drug rehabilitation right away. In fact, many experts will advise that friends or family pack their bags before the intervention so that they can keep the positive momentum going.
Michael’s House is one of the most well-regarded residential drug rehabilitation programs in California and represents an outstanding destination for your loved one who is struggling with drug addiction. Contact Michael’s House today at 1-877-345-8494 for more information.
- 10 Keys to Success in Recovery
- 5 Tips for Rehabilitation
- 7 Things to do After Rehab
- 7 Things to Know Before Starting
- Admissions for Drug Abuse
- All About Holistic Treatment
- Alternative Drug Treatment Programs
- Basics of Aftercare
- Basics of Rehabilitation
- Benefits of Inpatient Programs
- Christian Drug Rehab
- Counseling Benefits
- Equine Therapy in Rehabilitation Centers
- Gay-Friendly Drug Rehab Centers
- Getting a Loved One into Treatment
- How Aftercare Works
- How to Cover the Costs
- Inpatient vs. Outpatient Treatment
- Insurance Basics
- Keys to Long-Term Success
- Los Angeles Drug Rehab Centers
- Luxury Rehab
- Outpatient Drug Treatment
- Private Rehab
- Programs For The Elderly
- Questions to Ask Before Enrolling in a Program
- Rehab Programs for Military
- Rehab Services
- Rehabilitation Program Pricing
- Residential Rehab
- Side Effects of Drug Rehabilitation
- The Advantages and Disadvantages of Private Facilities
- The Staff at a Rehabilitation Program
- Treatment in California
- Types of Specialists at Drug Rehab Centers
- U.S. Treatment Statistics
- What Are the Costs?
- What Makes a Rehab Program Successful?
- What to Bring
- Yoga in Treatment