Despite all the research that speaks to the contrary, there are still a large number of people who are unaware of the many potential dangers of cocaine addiction. Cocaine is a stimulant that changes the pathways inside the brain and speeds up the body. The user feels happy, energetic and excited. Later, users often feel angry, nervous and afraid.
In 2013, cocaine accounted for almost 6 percent of all admissions to drug abuse treatment programs. The majority of individuals (68 percent in 2013) who seek treatment for cocaine use smoke crack. Users often take cocaine in binges. This happens when cocaine is repeatedly used and at increasingly higher doses. With regular drug use, tolerance may develop. When this happens, the individual takes higher doses or uses cocaine more frequently to produce the same level of pleasure and relief from the drug.
While many people know the “basic” symptoms and side effects of this addictive stimulant, such as talkativeness and nosebleeds, there are plenty of other reasons why those who are using this drug need to go to cocaine rehab as soon as possible.
- Irritability. Once the stimulant effects of cocaine begin to wear off, the user starts to feel quite irritable and agitated.
- No sense of smell. Cocaine damages the nasal membranes and surrounding areas which can cause the individual to lose their sense of smell entirely
- Prenatal and post-natal problems. Cocaine has been found to cause premature birth, low birth weight and other related disorders.
- HIV and Hepatitis. Shooting cocaine using dirty needles can advance the spread of these deadly viruses.
- Lung disease. Smoking crack has been found to cause significant damage to the lungs.
- Bowel gangrene. Ingesting cocaine can also cause this painful internal condition.
- Decreased appetite. Individuals on long cocaine “benders” have been known to go days without eating.
- Sleeplessness. Even when not using the drug, many cocaine addicts report a restlessness that keeps them from sleeping through the night.
Statistics show that over 200,000 Americans aged 12 or older have used cocaine in the last month. In many cases, drug abuse starts with marijuana and then moves to other drugs such as cocaine.
No matter if you struggle with cocaine abuse, marijuana abuse or some other form of drug, a drug rehab facility can help you. You need to break the cycle of drug addiction. If you see your loved one acting differently or demonstrating the side effects listed above, please seek help immediately.
If you need help for yourself,please call now. We are ready to serve you with the best quality care available. If you have insurance, please have that information ready when you call. We will gladly check to see what forms of treatment are covered by your insurance. Don’t delay. Take this important step to get sober and rebuild your life.
 https://www.drugabuse.gov/publications/research-reports/cocaine/what-treatments-are-effective-cocaine-abusers How is cocaine addiction treated?
 https://www.drugabuse.gov/publications/drugfacts/cocaine What is cocaine?
 https://www.drugabuse.gov/publications/drugfacts/nationwide-trends Nationwide Trends.