You’re ready to go to treatment — there’s just one step left. Packing! While you can usually buy any basic supplies you forget, it’s still best, and most comforting, to make sure you have what you need from home. So, what should you bring, and what should you leave behind?
Our approved, and suggested, items to bring include comfortable, everyday clothes. You may also want to bring appropriate swimwear. For women, this means a one-piece swimsuit that covers your midsection. Men, please no Speedos! Don’t forget your sunglasses, sunscreen or sunhat as well.
You should bring any approved prescription or over-the-counter medications. These have to be appropriately labeled with your name, the name of the medication, and dosage instructions. They’ll also be handed over to staff on arrival. Our great team of physicians and counselors will make sure you get what you need, when you need it!
You can bring an iPod as long as it doesn’t have a camera or Internet capability.
Don’t forget some essentials! Be sure to bring the following:
- Spending money
- Picture identification card
- Insurance card (if applicable)
- Name of insurance subscriber, subscriber contact information, subscriber SSN# and subscriber date of birth (if applicable)
- Pharmacy benefit card/Rx card (if applicable)
What to Leave at Home
We want to make sure you have everything you need while here–and nothing you don’t!
For your and others’ recovery and safety, we ask you to leave the following behind:
- Revealing clothing such as “short” shorts or skirts, spaghetti-strap tops and tops that expose the midriff
- Clothing with alcohol or drug logos or derogatory or sexual sayings or imagery
- Clothing that promotes gang themes
- Any prescription medications not fully approved, properly labelled and giving to staff upon entry
- Weapons/pocket knives
- Aerosol cans
- Perfumes or toiletries containing alcohol (such as nail polish remover, mouthwash and hand sanitizers)
- Vitamins, health food supplements or bodybuilding/dietary supplements (like creatine)
- Your (or someone else’s) car
- Pagers, computers, boom boxes, DVDs, PDAs, video games, cameras or TVs
- Any food or beverages
Have Questions About What to Bring?
The Michael’s House treatment team reserves the right to prohibit, on an individual basis, items that have a strong potential of interfering with recovery. All personal items will be subject to search by agency staff at admission, randomly and after off-campus outings. That is to say, we want you to be healthy, safe and comfortable!
If you have any questions about what to bring or what will be provided, just give us a call at 760-548-4032! We’re here to answer your questions about treatment, admissions, and more.